HVAC systems are one of the largest energy consumers in residential and commercial buildings, so it’s no surprise that air conditioning is a top concern for households and businesses during the summer. Although air conditioners have become more efficient over time, higher temperatures and increased usage can still lead to high energy bills.
Polar Cooling is one of the leading AC companies in Yuma, AZ, and we’re dedicated to helping our customers keep their air conditioning systems efficient. In this guide, we’ll share some of our top tips for increasing the efficiency of your AC unit and reducing your energy consumption this summer:
- Schedule air conditioning service: One of the best ways to keep your air conditioner running efficiently is to schedule annual maintenance appointments. Just like with any other machinery, air conditioners require tune-ups and occasional repairs to run in optimal condition. Call us to schedule air conditioning service in Yuma, AZ, as we can catch minor problems before they turn into big ones, saving you time and money in the long run.
- Use a programmable thermostat: A programmable thermostat is one of the simplest and most effective ways to reduce energy consumption. You can reduce your air conditioner’s runtime by programming your thermostat to raise the temperature when you’re away from home or asleep.
- Upgrading an air conditioner: If the air conditioning unit is over ten years old, it may be time to consider an upgrade. New air conditioners are much more energy-efficient than older models, so investing in a new unit could help you save money on your energy bills.
- Keep your air conditioner clean: Another crucial part of air conditioning maintenance is keeping the unit clean. Over time, dirt and dust can build up on the coils and other parts of the air conditioner, making it less efficient. Cleaning your air conditioner on a regular basis will help it run more efficiently and prolong its lifespan.
- Improve your insulation: Inadequate insulation is one of the leading causes of energy waste in homes and businesses. If your air conditioner is constantly running, but you can’t seem to get the temperature down, poor insulation could be to blame. Adding more insulation to your attic and walls can help reduce air leakage and make your air conditioner more effective.
- Add drapes, curtains, and blinds: Installing curtains or blinds is an easy and affordable way to keep your home cooler in the summer. Heavy curtains can block out the sun’s heat, keeping your rooms cooler and reducing the time your air conditioner needs to run.
- Use Ceiling Fans: Ceiling fans are a great way to circulate air and make a room feel cooler without raising the temperature. In fact, using a ceiling fan can make a room feel up to 4 degrees cooler. When using a ceiling fan with your air conditioner, ensure to set your thermostat higher than you would normally so you don’t waste energy cooling the air unnecessarily.
We hope these tips will help you increase the efficiency of your air conditioner and reduce your energy consumption this summer. Air conditioning maintenance is key to keeping your unit running efficiently. If you require air conditioning service or an AC repair in Yuma, AZ, don’t hesitate to call us at Polar Cooling.